Wood slabs are sawn from whole logs typically with two natural edges and varying in width from about 16 inches to 60 inches. Natural wood slabs are either air dried or dried in a kiln. Species most often used for wood slabs include: cedar, fir, walnut, redwood, oak, mango, maple and chocolate heart acacia. Each wood slab project is a unique piece of art due to its once-off cut that is different from any other slab that will make it a treasured possession for many generations. Wood slices can be used for a wide variety of projects including furniture, functional objects, decorations and crafts to augment any type of decor from rustic to modern.
Examples of wood slab projects include furniture such as coffee tables, dining table tops, benches, counter tops and outdoor furniture. Wood slabs also make functional furniture such as woodworking benches, picnic sets and even hollowed out plant containers. The beauty of wood slices are ideal for use in table decoration to showcase food displays such as cakes, as candle holders, pot stands and canisters.
The beauty and distinctive features of wood slabs stimulate craftsmen to produce exceptional pieces of art. Live edge wood slices with knots or splits can be selected for projects to preserve natural artifacts such as stones or shells. Coordinating or contrasting slabs can be used to craft unique table legs to hold table tops made of glass or other materials that will offset the wood to its best advantage. Use your design expertise to create an exclusive functional piece of art from a wood slab that will enhance your décor and satisfy your creative urges.
Easy Ideas For Wood Slab Projects
Apart from furniture, there are many slab wood projects that can be made from horizontal wood slabs left in its natural state or decorated in inspiring ways. Here are some ideas:
- Wood slice coasters decorated by burning designs and motifs into the grain.
- A wood slice welcome sign to display on the front porch.
- As a backdrop for a wreath at Christmas time.
- Add a vintage flair to a dining table with beautifully decorated wood slices used as table mats.
- Wood slices make ideal plant stands or plant hangers.
- Wood slice shelves can be created by cutting the slice in half and mounting the flat end on the wall.
- As frames for pictures or mirrors.
- A wood slice clock refurbished from an ordinary clock makes a stunning decoration.
- A wood slab makes a beautiful base for a charming serving tray. Just add some decorative handles and leave it natural to display the exquisite grain of the wood, or decorate it.
- A wooden slab key holder can have a dual function by painting it with blackboard paint for use as a shopping list or for reminders.
- Create a beautiful house number sign from a slab of wood.
- Wood slabs make perfect serving plates for snacks, especially when eating outdoors.
The creative slab wood projects you can make are limited only by your imagination. There are hundreds of ideas available for offsetting the beauty and exquisite charm of wood slabs in and around the home.